Description of the solar charging system and a couple examples.
Using PVWatts to estimate size required.
What Kind of PV Panel and Charge Controller to Use?
<explain difference between the single 36 volt panel and multiple 12 volt panels, and the charge controllers that go with them>
How Much Solar Charging Do I Need?
How to Estimate How Much Energy a PV Panel Will Provide
The amount of energy a PV panel will provide depends on:
- The panels nominal wattage rating.
- How sunny it is (or how cloudy)
- What season of the year it is (the sun is lower in the winter).
- The tilt of the PV panel and the direction it is facing.
- The efficiency of the charging system
Before going into the details of how to do a fairly exact job of estimating PV panel output considering all the above, here are some quick rules of thumb that will get you in the ball park and may be good enough:
<note — could use PVWatts to do a table that has summer and winter output for a few locations and for best tilt and horizontal. With PV watts, this would be for average weather>